Get Your Moving Quote!
the post office that you are moving. An online Change of Address form
is available on the United States Postal Service Web site at www.usps.com .
Have a "garage sale" or use an online auction service to dispose of unwanted items.
Donate unwanted clothing or household goods to charitable
organizations. Obtain receipts showing the items´ approximate value for
possible tax deductions.
Begin to use up supplies of canned goods, frozen foods and other household items. Buy only what will be used before moving.
Contact the Department of Motor Vehicles at your new location for information on a new driver's license and registration
* Notify your agent if you add or subtract items from your planned
move or if there are any changes in dates. Be sure to supply your agent
with destination address and phone numbers where you can be reached.
* Confirm any extra stops required to pick up or deliver goods to a location other than the main pickup or delivery points.
* If your car is being moved, be prepared to drive it to a suitable
loading site. Also be prepared to pick up your car at a suitable
Preparing Household Items:
* Federal law requires that you dispose of flammables such as
fireworks, cleaning fluids, matches, acids, chemistry sets, aerosol
cans, ammunition, and poisons such as weed killer. Drain fuel from your
power mower and other machinery. Discard partly used cans of oil,
paint, thinner, bleach, or any other substances that may be flammable
or combustible or those stored in containers that may leak. Please read
the complete list of non-allowables.
* Refillable propane tanks must be purged and sealed by a local
propane gas dealer. Discard non-refillable propane tanks which are used
for barbecue grills.
* Set an appointment with a service technician to prepare your major
appliances for shipment - or have your agent send someone out who is
authorized to perform this service.
* Set a date for having utilities disconnected. If possible, plan to keep utilities in service through moving day.
* Have rugs and draperies cleaned. Leave both wrapped when they are returned from the cleaners.
* Obtain a written appraisal of antique items to verify value. Avoid
waxing or oiling wooden antiques (and fine wood furniture) before
moving because some products might soften the wood, making it
vulnerable to imprinting from furniture pads.
* Do not clean your upholstered furniture before moving. Moisture could cause mold if furniture must be placed in storage.